(ROCKWALL, TX — March 19, 2019) Rockwall resident Dottie Lillard celebrated her 100th birthday St. Patrick’s Day style with a leprechaun-hat-shaped birthday cake and lots of green! Here are a few fun facts about Dottie from her friends and family:
- Dottie was born on March 17, 1919, weighing only three and a half pounds and beat the odds by surviving when many preemie’s of that time and age did not.
- She was born in the middle of 11 children, and is the last living of her siblings.
- Her family had a farm and she worked hard in the cotton fields. Her mom sewed all their clothes and made her a beautiful jacket just like one she saw in a magazine without using a sewing pattern.
- She remembers Rockwall when it was all dirt roads and very few cars.
- She remembers that the building at 101 S. Fannin St. (where Pier One is located) was a “Ford House” (car dealership). But she never learned to drive herself.
- After the war, her late husband, Buddy and her owned the Mecca Café on the downtown square of Rockwall for 25 years.
- Her sister Lillian Jacobs (who passed in 2017) was a vice president of First State Bank of Rockwall for around 40 years.
- She has been a member of First Baptist Church of Rockwall for 86 years!
- She has been blessed in this life with loving friends and family.
Photos submitted by Carolann David. Dottie is Carolann’s great aunt.
Our monthly print edition is delivered free to ~22,000 homes in Rockwall and Heath, TX.
To share your good news and events, email editor@BlueRibbonNews.com.
Subscribe to our email newsletter here.
Advertising: 214-342-8000 or advertising@BlueRibbonNews.com.