ROCKWALL, TX – April 20, 2022 — The following is a Rockwall ISD press release summarizing Monday night’s (3/21/2022) RISD Board of Trustees meeting.
NOTE: For information on every agenda item presented, please view the Board meeting videos available at rockwallisd.com.
Board of Trustees Report Continuing Education Hours
The Texas State Board of Education requires Texas school board members to complete continuing education hours. Continuing education hours were reported for trustees.
Approval of the Board of Trustee Monthly Meetings and Special/Work Session Dates for 2022-2023
The Board approved the Monthly Meetings and Special/Work Session dates for the 2022-2023 school year.
Academics Update and Planning for the 2022-2023 School Year
The Board of Trustees approved District leadership provided an update to the Board of Trustees in preparation for the 2022-2023 school year:
• Summer Professional Development: The leadership team has planned approximately 175 total professional development opportunities for staff this summer.
• Summer School: Rockwall ISD will provide summer school programs for students in PreK-12th grade beginning June 1.
• Summer STAAR/EOC Testing Dates: STAAR and End of Course Testing for students will be the week of June 21-28.
• New Processes and Procedures for the Selection of Library Books per Policies EF (LEGAL) and EF (LOCAL):
o Governor Greg Abbott directed the Texas Education Agency, the State Board of Education, and the Texas State Library and Archives Commission to develop standards that prevent pervasively vulgar content in Texas public schools.
Most recently, on April 11, 2022, Mike Morath, TEA Commissioner, provided information to all Texas school districts addressing processes and procedures related to selecting instructional resources, including library materials for school district libraries. Rockwall ISD has approximately 291,708 student voluntary/choice library books.
o Moving forward and as we prepare for the 2022-2023 school year, please know that Rockwall ISD remains committed to providing excellence in learning for our students and families. We are listening and looking forward to establishing:
1. New processes and procedures for selecting library books.
2. Staff will work to provide additional staff training related to policy EF (LEGAL and LOCAL) to ensure an understanding and application of these policies. We will provide additional transparency for parents through the following actions:
3. A Parent Instructional Resources Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) webpage,
4. A Parent Information webpage explaining how a parent may Opt-Out and consider an alternative instructional resource to be used in place of a challenged resource, and
5. A Parent Information webpage explaining procedures for formally challenging instructional resources per policy EF (LOCAL).
In conclusion, Dr. Villarreal made the following comments as a summary of the presentation:
• He expressed appreciation to all Rockwall ISD teachers, librarians and staff for their professionalism and service as they work diligently to serve and protect students.
• Our school district is exceptional because of our valued partnership with parents and the community.
• We want our students protected from any pervasively vulgar content per policy EF (LEGAL).
• In Rockwall ISD, parents have always had, and will continue to have, the right to determine what is appropriate for their child, including access to voluntary/choice library books per policy EF (LOCAL).
Approval for Aquatics Center Re-Plastering Project
The Board of Trustees approved the contract award to Sunbelt Inc. for the Aquatics Center re-plastering project.
Approval of the Competitive Sealed Proposal Contract Award for the Rockwall ISD Bid Package 21-C Site Paving Projects
The Board of Trustees approved a contract award to JB + Company for the bid package 21-C – site paving projects for Amy Parks-Heath and Cullins-Lake Pointe Elementary Schools.
Approval to Grant Right-of-Way Dedication and Easement Requests to the DR Horton Development Group for the Williamsburg School Site and Enter Into Cost Sharing Agreement for the Construction of the Northern portion of Gettysburg Boulevard
The Board of Trustees approved a resolution accepting the terms of the right-of-way dedication and easement requests to the DR Horton Development group for the Williamsburg School site and the cost-sharing agreement for the construction of improvements to Gettysburg Boulevard.
Approval of Renewal and Extension of Employment Contracts under Chapter 21 of the Texas Education Code for Administrators, Teachers, Counselors, Library Media Specialists and Nurses
The Board of Trustees approved renewing and extending contracts under Chapter 21 of the Texas Education Code for Administrators, Teachers, Counselors, Library Media Specialists and Nurses for the 2022-2023 school year as recommended by the Human Resources Department.
Approval of Renewal of Employment Contracts for Non-Chapter 21 Personnel
The Board of Trustees approved renewing Non-Certified Employment Contracts for those individuals recommended by the Human Resources Department for the 2022-2023 school year.
Submitted press release, Rockwall ISD.
Our print edition delivers free to ~15,500 homes and businesses throughout Rockwall County, TX. Click image to view.
To share your good news and events, email editor@BlueRibbonNews.com.
Subscribe to our email newsletter here.
Advertising: 214-342-8000 or advertising@BlueRibbonNews.com.