ROCKWALL, TX (May 12, 2014) American Idol recording star Jason Castro from Rockwall and the 20+piece U.S. Air National Guard Band of the Southwest – which performed at the dedication of the George W. Bush Presidential Library – will headline the first annual Rockwall Memorial Day concert, Sunday, May 25, 7 pm, at The Harbor amphitheater on the shores of Lake Ray Hubbard.
The free event is being held to thank and honor our fallen soldiers, veterans and active-duty military and their families.
Modeled after the National Memorial Day Concert, held annually in Washington D.C., the event will feature patriotic and inspirational music, dramatic readings of true veterans’ stories, short speeches by dignitaries and the playing of the Armed Forces Medley while recognizing attending military and family members.
- Contemporary jazz saxophonist David Carr Jr.
- Country music artist Brittnee Lee
- Country music artist Jason Crabtree
- Gospel singer Beverly Oliver Massegee
Local entertainers include:
- Musical theater performer Whitney Rosenbalm
- Rockwall High School country/pop music singer Jamie Timpa
- Rockwall High School opera singer Jessica Brunson
- The 12+member Lakeside Civic Chorus
- Congressman Ralph Hall, a former WWII U.S. Navy Lt. and pilot
- Rockwall County Judge Jerry Hogan, U.S. Army Lt. Col. (ret.)
- U.S. Air Force Major General Kim Siniscalchi, former White House Assistant Surgeon General, who served Presidents Bill Clinton and George H. Bush as Air Force Nurse
Official announcer is former radio station DJ and auctioneer Gary Freedman, the “Voice of Rockwall.”
Several additional high-ranking military officers will attend, with help from the Terry Fisher American Legion Post #117 in Rockwall and Greater Dallas Military Foundation.
The American Legion Post and Veterans Service Office Officer and U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. (ret.) Les Cooks will provide information to veterans from booths set up at the event.
The Paralyzed Veterans of America Wheelchair Color Guard will present the colors and a three-round volley to begin the program.
Patriot Paws will be also on hand with their service dogs for wounded warriors.
Special hotel and motel rates can be obtained by mentioning the “Memorial Day Concert” code when reserving rooms at Rockwall properties. For contact info see: http://www.rockwall.com/hotels.asp
The event is presented by The Rockwall News. Executive producer is Rockwall News owner/publisher J.J. Smith, the son of a severly-injured World War II US Army tank commander, who returned home with acute PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) and eventually committed suicide.
Co-sponsors thus far include:
- Hawaiian Falls
- Dallas County Community College District
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Rockwall
- City of Rockwall
- Rockwall Economic Development Corporation
- Rockwall Area Chamber of Commerce
- Coldwell Banker Commercial Realtor Peg Pannell Smith
- Law Office of Kim Timpa
- CertaPro Painters
- Comfort Dental
- Eyecare & Laser Management
- Britt’s Training Systems
- Classic Rock Stone Yard
- Fathom Realty/Hometown Heroes
- Horizon Auto Center
- Peghead Guitars
- Hilton Dallas/Rockwall Lakefront Hotel
More volunteers are needed. For info about volunteering, co-sponsoring or participating in the event, contact Smith at 214-317-1718 or firstname.lastname@example.org.