“I am proud to announce that 13 Garland ISD seniors were named Dell Scholar semifinalists,” said GISD AVID Secondary Program Manager Jean Greenidge. “The Dell Scholars Program provides students with $20,000 to put toward their college education over six years. It also provides support, including technology, mentoring and a network of previous Dell Scholars to assist students through their collegiate career.”
The program is an initiative of the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, which has supported more than 4,800 highly motivated, underprivileged scholars since 2004. The Dell Scholars Program considers students who are enrolled in an approved college readiness program, hold a minimum 2.4 GPA, are eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant, and will enroll as a full-time college student in the fall.
About 500 Dell Scholars will be named March 6. The following GISD students are in the running to earn the esteemed title.
- Nahome Abraham – Naaman Forest High School
- Gisselle Estrada – Sachse High School
- Daphne Gomes – Garland High School
- Skyler Huynh – Garland High School
- Aneth Lopez – Garland High School
- Nabil Mohmoud – Rowlett High School
- Jessica Nwaka – North Garland High School
- Jessica Palomo – Naaman Forest High School
- Marlene Reyes – North Garland High School
- Michael Robles – Garland High School
- Jacqueline Trejo – Sachse High School
- William Utrera – North Garland High School
- Humberto Vasquez – Garland High SchooL
By Caren Rodriguez, Garland ISD.
Our print edition is delivered free to ~15,500 homes in Rockwall and Heath, TX.
To share your good news and events, email editor@BlueRibbonNews.com.
Subscribe to our email newsletter here.
Advertising: 214-342-8000 or advertising@BlueRibbonNews.com.