(ROCKWALL, TX) Rockwall ISD Communications sent the following message to families today:
Rockwall ISD Families,
Rockwall ISD considers the safety, health, and wellbeing of our students and staff as our greatest responsibility. Please know that we have been closely monitoring the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) both nationally and internationally. To date, there have been no confirmed cases in our area. Director of Health Services, Nichol Smithers, RN, and our Student Services Office is in daily communication with our local health authorities for the latest updates and safety recommendations.
Rockwall ISD is taking the following steps to ensure our school community is safe. These steps include:
- Encouraging students and staff to stay home when sick and remain home until they are fever-free for 24 hours.
- Monitoring daily attendance rates by campus and as a district.
- Encouraging students and staff to cover their mouths and nose with the inside of their elbow or sleeve when you cough or sneeze and to wash hands after using a tissue.
- Reminding students and staff of proper handwashing techniques and the appropriate use of hand sanitizers.
- Encouraging students and staff to keep their hands away from their nose, mouth, and eyes.
- Disinfecting of shared surfaces using standard cleaning procedures.
What can you do to help?
The Centers for Disease Control recommend the following actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- When cleaning hands, if soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
In summary, our custodial staff clean frequently-touched surfaces daily, and also perform extra sanitizing measures in classrooms and areas where illness may increase. Parents are always welcome to send hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes, and tissues to school with your child.
If you would like more information about COVID-19, you can read more at this link:
With Spring Break scheduled next week, families may also want to review the CDC’s FAQ regarding travel: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/faqs.html.
Thank you for doing what you can to help us create a safe and healthy learning community for everyone.
Blue Ribbon News staff report.
Our print edition is delivered free to ~15,500 homes in Rockwall and Heath, TX.
To share your good news and events, email editor@BlueRibbonNews.com.
Subscribe to our email newsletter here.
Advertising: 214-342-8000 or advertising@BlueRibbonNews.com.