AUSTIN, TEXAS — Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan has appointed State Representative Justin Holland to serve a four year term on the Texas Sunset Advisory Commission, with the first two years as Vice Chair of the Commission.
The Sunset Commission is a legislative advisory body with 12 members: five senators and one public member appointed by the Lieutenant Governor, and five representatives and one public member appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Through Sunset, the Legislature looks closely at the need for and performance of state agencies. About 130 entities are subject to Sunset review, with 20–30 going through the Sunset process every two years.
Among the agencies under review for the 2022-2023 review cycle are:
• Economic Development and Tourism Office,Texas
• Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT)
• Environmental Quality, Texas Commission on (TCEQ)
• Juvenile Justice Department, Texas
• Law Enforcement, Texas Commission on(Limited scope review )(TCOLE)
• Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT)
• Office of Public Utility Counsel
• Veterinary Medical Examiners, State Board of (Limited scope review )
• Texas Water Development Board (TWDB)
• State Water Implementation Fund for Texas
During his time in the Legislature, Representative Holland has served on the House Committees on Appropriations, State Affairs, Homeland Security and Public Safety and Culture, Recreation and Tourism.
“I am honored to have Speaker Phelan’s confidence to serve as Sunset’s Vice Chair. We have a lot of unique challenges ahead of us with our electricity industry, the regulatory environment, our law enforcement community in Texas – as well as managing state growth and development. I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and doing my part ensure that Texas government is running efficiently and effectively for our citizens.”
Submitted press release for publication in Blue Ribbon News.
Our print edition delivers free to ~15,500 homes and businesses throughout Rockwall County, TX. Click image to view.
To share your good news and events, email editor@BlueRibbonNews.com.
Subscribe to our email newsletter here.
Advertising: 214-342-8000 or advertising@BlueRibbonNews.com.