ROCKWALL, TX (Nov. 16, 2021) The following is a Rockwall ISD press release summarizing last night’s RISD Board of Trustees meeting.
NOTE: For information on every agenda item presented, please view the Board meeting videos available at www.rockwallisd.com.
Board of Trustees Recognitions
The Board of Trustees recognized outstanding individuals and groups for the following accomplishments:
- Rockwall High School’s Jacob Limerick, a member of the Class of 2022, recently earned a perfect SAT score, joining a select group of high school students. The College Board’s Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) is used to measure a high school student’s readiness for college-level work. Each year, approximately 2 million students from across the country take the SAT exam. Of those 2 million test-takers, approximately 500 students each year earn a perfect score of 1600 on the SAT.
- Mark of Excellence and Citation of Excellence National Awards evaluated by collegiate music professors:
- Rockwall Heath High School Wind Ensemble, directed by Chris Loyd, was selected as a Commended Winner of the Mark of Excellence National Wind Band Honors Award Class 6A.
- Rockwall Heath High School Junior Varsity Orchestra, directed by Zoey Rice, was selected as a Commended Winner of the Citation of Excellence National Orchestra Honors Award Class 6A.
- Cain Middle School Honors Band, directed by Trevor Ousey, was selected as a Commended Winner of the Mark of Excellence National Wind Band Honors Award Class 2A.
- Cain Middle School Symphonic Band, directed by Preston Prior, was selected as the National Winner of the Citation of Excellence National Wind Band Honors Award Class 2A.
- Danny Lorance, Rockwall ISD Energy Manager, completed the Master Texas Energy Management (MTEM) certification through the Texas Energy Managers Association. Mr. Lorance has been an active member in TEMA since January 2019 and currently serves as the local DFW TEMA chapter president. Rockwall ISD is only one of six districts out of the over 1,000 districts in the state to have an MTEM credentialed Energy Manager on staff.
Approval of Certified Bond Election Results
The Board of Trustees approved the canvassing of election results pursuant to Chapter 67 of the Texas Election Code and Board Policy BBBB(LEGAL) which states, “a board shall convene to conduct the local canvass at the time set by the presiding officer not later than the 11th day after election day.” Per the Texas Secretary of State, because the last day falls on a Saturday, November 13, 2021, the deadline is extended to Monday, November 15, 2021. Canvassing results from Rockwall County, Kaufman County, and Collin County were presented approving the 2021 bond propositions A and B.
Zabojnik Named Quest Academy Principal
The Board of Trustees approved Brittney Zabojnik as the Quest Academy Principal. She joins Quest Academy with 17 years of experience in public education, most recently as an Assistant Principal at Utley Middle School. Her public education career includes serving Mesquite ISD as an English teacher at Kimbrough Middle School and at The Learning Center, then Dean of Students at McClendon Elementary School and Dean of Instruction at Edge Middle School both in Community ISD. Mrs. Zabojnik received her Master of Business Administration from Amberton University and her Bachelor of Business Management in International Business from Northwood University. She completed her Educational Administration and Principal Certification from Texas A&M-Commerce.
Mrs. Zabojnik’s professional experiences and accomplishments included extensive campus leadership service at all levels, including a background in elementary, special programs, middle school, and DAEP.
Academic Planning Guide Information Presented
The purpose of the Academic Planning Guide (APG) is to assist students as they plan their academic future. Counselors work with students, parents, and teachers to select appropriate courses for graduation and provide student services throughout the year utilizing the APG. The courses discussed include: English II SAGE Honors, Debate III, Advanced Placement Seminar, Practicum in Law, Public Safety Corrections and Security, Robotics III – Engineering Design and Problem Solving and Computer Science III.
Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas (FIRST) Report Presented
In compliance with the applicable Board policies and Administrative Code sections and subsections, District leadership presented the 2019-2020 FIRST to the Board of Trustees. Highlights of the report include:
- Rockwall ISD received a “Superior” rating – the highest rating available, and
- Rockwall ISD’s “District score” equaled 96 – 4 points shy of the highest possible score.
Approval of 2021 Certified Tax Rolls as Certified by Rockwall, Kaufman and Collin Appraisal Districts
The Board of Trustees approved the 2021 certified property valuations received from the various Central Appraisal Districts: Rockwall, Kaufman and Collin.
Approval of District Votes for the Board of Directors of the Rockwall Central Appraisal District
The Board of Trustees approved casting the District’s votes for the 2022-2023 Rockwall Central Appraisal District’s Board of Directors Election for Vicki Alexander and Lorne Liechty.
Approval of Project Completions
The Board of Trustees approved project completions from the 2015 bond for the following:
- Career and technology classroom renovations at RHS and RHHS,
- Lupe Garcia Elementary School, and
- Cullins Lake-Pointe Elementary School classroom cabinetry and storage.
Approval of Competitive Sealed Proposal Contract Award
The Board of Trustees approved the competitive sealed proposal (CSP) contract award for the Rockwall High School retaining wall project to ICI Construction. The project will be paid using General Operating funds.
Approval of Additional Bond Scope Projects
The Board of Trustees approved additional 2015 bond scope projects for the following:
- RHS and RHHS Performing Arts Centers renovation and upgrade to infrastructure and equipment,
- Aquatics Center competition pool renovations, and
- Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium turf replacement project.
Approval of Consultant Design Services and Project Delivery Methods for District Construction Projects
The Board of Trustees approved consultant design services and project delivery methods for the following District projects:
- Rockwall ISD 9th Grade Campus projects,
- RHS and RHHS gymnasium additions,
- RHHS Multi-Purpose Tennis Facility,
- Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium turf replacement project,
- Aquatics Center competition pool renovations,
- Campus furnishings replacement,
- Fire Alarm replacements,
- Interior painting projects,
- RHS and RHHS Performing Arts Centers audio and lighting renovations,
- Middle schools stage curtain projects, and
- Site paving projects.
Approval of Recommendation for Qualifications for Construction Manager At-Risk
The Board of Trustees approved a Request for Qualifications 2122.10-003 for Construction Manager At-Risk services to provide the District with a pool of “pre-qualified” firms for upcoming bond projects.
Approval of Site Selection for Rockwall ISD 9th Grade Campus Projects
The Board of Trustees approved site selections for the future 9th Grade Campuses for Rockwall High School and Rockwall-Heath High School. Rockwall High School 9th Grade Campus will be located at FM 1141 and East Quail Run. Rockwall-Heath High School 9th Grade Campus will be located on the property behind Dr. Gene Burton College and Career Academy.
Approval of Resolution for Reimbursement
The Board of Trustees approved a resolution authorizing the District to reimburse itself for bond project expenditures with proceeds of future
Approval of School Bus Purchases
The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of ten (10) school buses pursuant to Board-approved cooperative purchasing program
Submitted press release, edited for publication in Blue Ribbon News. Courtesy photos.
Our print edition delivers free to ~15,500 homes and businesses throughout Rockwall County, TX. Click image to view.
To share your good news and events, email editor@BlueRibbonNews.com.
Subscribe to our email newsletter here.
Advertising: 214-342-8000 or advertising@BlueRibbonNews.com.