FATE, TX (Dec. 31, 2022) Happy New Year!
We live in an extraordinary city in extraordinary times. We continued our rapid growth and the implementation of our unique economic development strategy. We have been recognized throughout the State of Texas for our innovative approach to creating a wonderful place to live, work, and play. My heart is full of gratitude and humility. I feel blessed to be the Mayor of this great city.
We have a strong city and are blessed to have city team members who continually demonstrate an esprit de corps that rivals the best cities in our state. I love all my great neighbors, friends, and Fate family.
I want to highlight a few of the accomplishments of our amazing city team members, who are led and supported by a fantastic City Council.
- We have the 8th lowest city tax rate in the DFW metroplex.
- Building upon the 2021 National Citizen Survey, we conducted our fourth consecutive annual survey, which resulted in many improved ratings. To highlight a few, and thanks to you, Fate received higher ratings than other participating cities in North America in the following categories:
- Treating residents fairly
- Crime prevention
- As a place to raise a family
- Attracting people from diverse backgrounds
- Residents feel safe from violent crime
- Added the Fate Solar Switch, a sustainability initiative in conjunction with the Fate Power Switch program. We started with 2 other Metroplex communities, and now the City of Houston is following our lead and will launch their program in the coming year!
- Adopted the 2021 Forward Fate Comprehensive Plan to reflect current City of Fate land use, development, and fiscal sustainability goals.
- Continued Economic Development efforts by adding an additional staff member, opening the “Food Haul” food truck court in downtown to grow small businesses, addressed residents desire for a unique Grocery Store with the opening of FRESH by Brookshires, and entered into economic development agreements for the construction of two new downtown mixed-use buildings, “The Park” and “Fate Place”.
- Construction of Fate Station Park and Joe Burger Park, and the completion of the new Parks & Trails Master Plan Update.
- Completed two downtown mural projects contributing to placemaking and local identity
- Received Comptrollers’ Transparency Award for Traditional Finance.
- Received $3.8M from the American Rescue Plan Act for use on the Pump Station 3 water project.
- Purchased two parcels of land for future multipurpose Public Safety and Public Works facilities (Northside and Southside).
- Implemented the ADA transition plan and the associated staggered first year project list.
- Awarded Top 10 “Safest City” Recognition, ranked at #8.
In 2023, we should see unparalleled commercial development with many exciting new restaurants and stores. We will continue to see both conventional development along the I-30 corridor, and unique development being completed in our award-winning downtown.
I am grateful for your City Council, as their public service makes Fate a great place to live and work. Thank you Council Members, and thank you Citizens for your support and sending us such great leaders!
As I have said many times, we are a family. We may have our family disputes, but in the end, we work together to find the right solution for our city. Are we perfect? The answer is no. However, we do work hard every day to make Fate a great place to work, live, and play.
As we approach the end of another holiday season, please take some time to enjoy your families. We have a lot of challenges coming up in 2023, but for now, let’s take time to rejoice in our successes and find time to hug our kiddos and loved ones.
Yes indeed, our future is bright. May God bless our great city and each of your families. May the New Year bring you and your families joy, love, and happiness.
In Service –
David Billings, Mayor, City of Fate
Our print edition delivers free to ~17,500 homes and businesses throughout Rockwall County, TX. Click image to view.
To share your good news and events, email editor@BlueRibbonNews.com.
Subscribe to our email newsletter here.
Advertising: 214-342-8000 or advertising@BlueRibbonNews.com.