ROCKWALL/HEATH, TX (Dec. 20, 2022) Rockwall County is expecting an extended period of below freezing weather from Thursday night (low expected of 9-degrees Fahrenheit) through Christmas night. The good new is that there is no expected precipitation.
However, sprinkler systems (if not turned off) can turn roads and sidewalks into an icy hazard. Backflow prevention devices (usually on irrigation systems) that are above ground can also burst due to freezing causing significant leaks and resulting ice.
WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW TO PREVENT HAZARDS & DAMAGE:
- Turn off your irrigation system.
- Backflow prevention devices are usually in insulated enclosures, but it is a good idea to add another layer of insulation under these enclosures to help prevent them from freezing during an extended period of low temperatures.
- Know where your water shut off valve is located and how to shut off your water should it become necessary due to a burst frozen pipe.
OTHER PREVENTION STEPS:
- Be sure you have signed up for free Nixle emergency alerts; send a text message from your phone with the keyword “RCOEM” to the number 888777
- Follow Heath SCAN for any alerts specific to Heath: heathtx.com/scan
- Learn more about preparing for Winter Weather: heathtx.com/scan/winter-weather
- Register a loved one who is vulnerable during emergency situation for a Wellness Check by our Department of Public Safety here: heathtx.com/scan/wellness-check-registration