Advocates for foster children learn how to help traumatized children

Advocates for foster children learn how to help traumatized children

Texas CASA hosts training in Rockwall (Rockwall) June 20, 2013 – About 70 advocates for children in the foster care system gathered at the Hilton Dallas Rockwall Lakefront for two days of training to learn how to better speak up for children who are removed from their homes because of abuse and neglect. Judges, Child […]

Rockwall swimmers host free learn-to-swim clinic

Teens from Rockwall Aquatics Center reach out to kids to teach water safety (Rockwall) June 19, 2013 – Every day  in our country, approximately 10 people drown in our lakes, beaches, and swimming pools. More than one in five fatal drowning victims are children younger than 14. However, by participating in swim lessons, the risk […]

Live from Frisco: ‘Can We Talk’ launches June 20

(Frisco) June 19, 2013 – There’s a new show in town, and it’s all about area Moms. “Can We Talk,” a new live talk show, makes its debut this week and will host a  launch party to announce its arrival at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 20, with a reception to follow at its studio located inside Frisco […]

Texas, My Texas: transplanted Texas songwriter composes with heart

(June 18, 2013) As the saying goes, local songwriter Glenn Boudreau, 63, may not have been born in Texas, but he got here as fast as he could. The Rhode Island native and his wife, Cookie, moved to Royse City about nine years ago, and recently took up residence in Rockwall. “As a young boy, […]

Volunteers provide help, hope after canine distemper infects big cats at In-Sync

Positive thoughts, prayers, donations needed for Wylie’s exotic cat rescue center   (Wylie) June 17, 2013 – Three months ago, 25 raccoons in Plano were found to have canine distemper, a potentially deadly virus that typically only affects dogs, raccoons and ferrets. Two weeks ago in Arlington, 29 raccoons also tested positive. Cases have also […]

Therapy horses model beach fashions for visitors, donors at Equest Open House in Wylie

Therapy horses model beach fashions for visitors, donors at Equest Open House in Wylie

(Wylie) June 14, 2013 –Equest Therapeutic Horsemanship, located on Troy Road in Wylie, welcomed visitors and donors to its beach-themed summer open house on June 8, which brought in several donations in support of  the center’s programs for adults and children with physical, emotional and cognitive disabilities. The highlight of the evening was the fashion […]

Tossing Small Stones: A Father’s Day Confession

The rod doubled and the reel sang as the shark darted and dove to the deep. After fishing for days on aFloridapier, I had hooked a monster, and my Dad coached and cheered above everyone. I was nine when I carved out this memory with my hero. He’s a mere shell of a man now, […]

Car Wash at Taco Casa to benefit Meals on Wheels

(Rockwall) June 7, 2013 –The Rockwall Friendship Baptist Church Outreach Ministy will host a benefit CAR WASH from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 15 at Taco Casa on 2008 Goliad St. in Rockwall. All proceeds will be donated to Meals on Wheels Senior Services of Rockwall County. Click here to LIKE Blue Ribbon […]

Noteworthy performances by McDonald piano students

(Rockwall) June 7, 2013 – Students of Michele McDonald of the Hubbard Chamber Music Series actively performed in a number of events this past season.  All performed in the Rockwall Music Teachers Fall Festival and Spring Competition with most students receiving high marks or placing in the competition.  Several students were also active and successful […]

Sailors ‘go the distance for mental health’ at Donna Ross Regatta

Race results announced (Lake Ray Hubbard) June 5, 2013) The Donna Ross Memorial Regatta, benefitting the Mental Health Association of Greater Dallas, was held May 18, 2013, on Lake Ray Hubbard.Twenty-five keelboats joined regatta organizer, Rick Lucarelli, to “Go the Distance for Mental Health,” in memoriam of Lucarelli’s mother, Donna Ross, who died unexpectedly in […]