Helping Hands Annual Campaign underway through June 30

(ROCKWALL-April 1, 2013) Rockwall County Helping Hands is often the first place Rockwall residents turn when a crisis hits. The agency does four things really well: they keep a roof overhead, utilities connected and food on the table and provide healthcare to the uninsured and medically underserved. In 2012, Helping Hands: Provided financial aid and/or […]

Keeping children healthy, safe

(April 1, 2013) April is Child Abuse Awareness month.  At the YMCA we champion child abuse prevention every day, but during April we will be working hard to bring awareness to this issue. I have seen child abuse from many angles.  As a former executive director of domestic abuse and sexual assault programs, I saw […]

East Trinity Lodge to host blood drive for children at Scottish Rite Hospital

(ROCKWALL-April 2, 2013) East Trinity Lodge #157 will host a blood drive from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 6 to benefit the children of Texas Scottish Rite Hospital. The blood drive will be at E. Trinity Lodge, Hall W, on Rusk Street in Rockwall. That’s on Highway 66, just one block west of […]

Rockwall County Democrats elect new officers

(ROCKWALL – March 28, 2013) The Rockwall County Democratic Party Executive Committee met in March to elect new officers.  Alieca Hux, Senate District 2 Executive Committee member and George Nassar,Texas Democratic Party Parliamentarian participated. The meeting was chaired by Philip Borawski and attended by active Democrats. Judith Matherne was elected County Chair. Matherne has been […]

Sheriff Eavenson to discuss schemes, scams with Friends of Library

(ROCKWALL-March 25, 2013) Sheriff Harold Eavenson will be the featured speaker at the April 9 meeting of Friends of the Rockwall County Library. He will brief the group on the latest schemes and scams and tell attendees how to protect their home and persons. According to Sheriff Eavenson, bad guys are constantly thinking up ways to threaten […]

Forney Arts Council presents Student Art Show

(MARCH 25, 2013) Senior Advanced Placement Art Students from Forney High and North Forney High Seniors will display their works at the Crumbzz Tasting pavilion/Forney Gallery of the Arts from April 2 through 30. The Crumbzz Tasting Pavilion/Forney Gallery of the Arts is located at 212 South Bois D’ Arc Street in downtown Forney. For […]

One Stop Drop collection event set for Saturday

(March 25, 2013) The One Stop Drop Great American Cleanup Collection will be 9 a.m. to  1 p.m. Saturday, March 30 at Clark High School, 523 W. Spring Creek Parkway in Plano. Spring clean your closets, garage and attic and bring reusable items to the one day drop-off collection event. Among the items accepted: Bicycles […]

Rockwall Chamber welcomes OMNI Audio Video

(ROCKWALL-March 24, 2013) The Rockwall Area Chamber of Commerce recently hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony welcoming OMNI Audio Video. OMNI Audio Video, located at 216 Ranch Trail in Rockwall, designs and custom installs state-of-the-art home theater and whole house music systems to satisfy even the most discriminating taste, providing a lifetime of sound entertainment. They […]

Friday Study Club meets ‘Bad Girls of the Revolution’

(ROCKWALL-March 24, 2013) Friday Study Club, Rockwall’s oldest women’s club, organized in 1919, met recently at the home of June Frawley. The program was presented by Bill Covington, covering the topic of “Bad Girls of the Revolution.” Covington detailed documented accounts of several women who disguised themselves as men to fight in the battles against […]

Hunting for Easter

There is no Easter bunny. I lowered my head in disappointment and embarrassment. An older playmate had just informed five-year-old me that Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny were mere deceptions. I had to grow up. At least God remained safe. I held on to religious traditions: words, music, prayers and the atmosphere […]